Plan de Corones
The Plan de Corones tourist area is comprised of various towns and valleys. They include the towns of Marebbe, Valdaora, Anterselva, San Lorenzo di Sebato, San Martino in Badia, Monguelfo and Brunico. Plan de Corones is a well-known tourist area for winter sports since it is the largest ski are in all of South Tyrol. But this region offers so much more for the summer season and from the cultural point of view.
Discover campsites in Plan de Corones
The Plan de Corones tourist area combines various locations in South Tyrol and, for this reason, offers numerous possibilities to better enjoy your holiday. Depending on the area where you stay you can visit:
- Brunico is the main town in Val Pusteria with a population of 11,000. Stroll along the Via Centrale; visit Piazza Municipio, the church of St. Catherine, the Holy Spirit and the Ursulines. Plus, don't miss the opportunity to visit the Messner Mountain Museum RIPA dedicated to mountain peoples and located in Brunico castle. You should also visit the War Cemetery at Monte Spalliera that holds the tombs of WWI soldiers from various countries.
- Messner Mountain Museum RIPA in Brunico castle dedicated to mountain peoples
- The Teodone Museum of Ethnography in Brunico, an outdoor museum where you can admire rural buildings and discover ancient customs of the South Tyrol country folk
- Museum Ladin Ciastel de Tor in San Martino in Badia where you will discover the history of the Ladin people, their customs and some peculiarities of their language
- The Predoi Mine at the end of Valle Aurina where copper was once mined and where today tourists can enter on board a mining car.
Even though Plan de Corones is not very well-known as a summer holiday destination, it offers many activities during the warm season. Here are some recommendations for you:
- A circular hike of Plan de Corones leaving from Passo Furcia above San Vigilio di Marebbe. From the Passo Furcia car park, follow trail 1-13. The hike is not very easy but promises breath-taking panoramas.
- Tour of Sass Putia leaving from Passo delle Erbe (2006 metres). Sass Putia is a peak that is part of the Puez Odle Natural Park. Discover the pristine nature of this natural park. Follow trail 8A for a day-long medium difficulty hike with a maximum altitude of 2357 m
- Adrenaline X-Treme Adventures at San Vigilio di Marebbe, the longest zip line in Europe! You will be fastened to a rope that will take you from the top of one mountain to another for a 3.2 km stretch, hanging in the air! What a thrill!
Plan de Corones ski area statistics:
- 116 kilometres of slopes
- 31 lifts
- 346 artificial snow machines
- 9 ski schools with 190 instructors
- 5 snow kindergartens
- 2 snow parks for snowboarders.
As you can see, Plan de Corones is perfect for those who want to spend a holiday having fun in the snow. You will also find many cabins and refuges where you can drink hot chocolate, taste local specialities or rest between ski runs.